Check the course syllabus for the specific class you are taking for information about the textbooks and any other materials. The following information lists the general skills and tools for all of my online courses.
- Basic computer skills (word processing, e-mail, file management).
- Basic Internet skills (use of browser, searches, uploading/downloading files).
- Familiarity with discussion boards.
- Ability to resolve technical issues.
- An open mind and patience for learning new tools.
- Frequent access to a computer with a high-speed Internet connection and web browser.
- You can purchase technology devices and software with a student discount at http://www.foundationccc.org/CollegeBuys/ .
Learning Management System (LMS)
- At American River College, you will use Canvas for the LMS. Go to https://canvas.losrios.edu .
Word Processing Program
- You will need a word processing program and the ability to create .pdf files.
- As an American River College student, you can use Google apps and Office 365 for free.
Educational Technology Apps
- I may embed other apps into our LMS–such as Diigo lists, Padlet walls, Google Docs and so forth. I only choose free apps and tools that are easy to use, but do remember to keep an open mind and patience.
USB Microphone or Webcam
- This equipment is encouraged but not required. Being able to add audio or video will enhance the community environment and interactive learning experience. It’s nice to be able to communicate verbally in online classes.